Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Digital Postcard: Hundertwasser Toilets


Our Rough Guide says "The only reason to stop [in Kawakawa] is to visit its celebrated toilets on the main road...These works of art were created in 1997 by the reclusive Austrian emigre Friedrich Hundertwasser. Painter, architect, ecologist and philosopher, Hundertwasser made Kawakawa his home from 1975 until his death in 2000." The pamphlet I read said Hundertwasser had offered to design things like flags and stamps for the city but then they commissioned him to design these bathrooms. It was his last work of art. So there you go.


Here are some other pictures from our drive to Kaitaia:


We think these are Dr. Seuss trees:
We went to Shipwreck Bay. There is really a ship just sticking out of the sand.

6 comments:

Tif said...

Oh I like this postcard :)

Lori said...

love the commode photo.

vdg family said...

Wow! A whale in the bathroom and a ship sticking out of the sand. I bet there are a lot of people with their metal detectors out there.

Read and Camille King said...

Merry Christmas! It looks like your haveing a blast!!! I wish I could be as outgoing and adventurous as you. be safe and have fun. Oh ya bring me back somthing cool. Maybe Brett and Jermaine???

Fancypants said...

Do you think I could commission Bruce to design a bathroom like that? Oh wait, he's an architect but not a philosopher.

Christy said...

I hope my last project before I die will be to design a public restroom too...