Thursday, January 17, 2008

What's in a name?

For some reason I clicked on a link that said to see how popular your first name was. I like how they say "popular" and not "common." My name is very common. Millions of people have the same first name as I do, girls and boys. There were four Ashleys in my high school graduating class (or I should say, me, the boy Ashley, Ashlee, and Ashleigh) and I'm pretty sure we were all in the same preCalculus class. But here is a graph that says my name was the most popular name in the 90's and almost was the most popular in the 80's. Hooray for me.

Rank shows how popular the name is in the corresponding decade. A rank of 1 means it is the most popular name for that gender. A rank of 1000 means it is the 1000th most popular.

Bar graph statistics are compiled and published by the Social Security Administration, based on samplings of applications for Social Security cards.

I would like to know what "From the Ash Tree" actually means. It says Ashley means "from the Ash Tree." That doesn't mean anything.

If you want to see how popular your name is, you can visit this link.

No comments: